Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Adventures in Cooking

I mean, I can cook. I am a twenty-something after all. However, I'm more of a stir-fry kind of girl...as in, I find things in the fridge that might taste good and stir fry them together. One of my on-going goals in life is to master the art of cooking. I don't mind eating the same thing over and over again, but I'd rather mix it up a little every now and then while still eating relatively healthy.
The other night on tumblr or pinterest I saw a picture (I wish I reblogged and/or repinned it!) of some delicious looking baked acorn squash, hollowed out and filled with cooked quinoa mixed with vegetables. It looked SO good! So I decided that I'd try to recreate it for dinner tonight. I pretty much had everything needed on hand except for the acorn squash, which thankfully came with a sticker explaining how to cook it.


Here are the ingredients (quinoa not shown because I was already cooking it):
-onions
-acorn squash
-garlic
-lime (I know it looks like a lemon... my mom blames the weather for it not turning green)
-red bell pepper

First, I chopped the bell peppers and put them into a bowl.

  Then, I chopped up the onions and garlic and sauteed them together in some extra virgin olive oil.

 I then mixed the sauteed onions and garlic with the fresh red bell peppers.

 I added the cooked quinoa in with the vegetables...

  ...and squeezed the lime into the mix for flavor. That completed the quinoa filling.

 I halved and scooped out all the gooey insides of the acorn squash and then put them on a casserole dish face down with a quarter cup of water and baked them for half an hour at 375 degrees fahrenheit.

The squash smelled so good after they were done baking and were nice and soft. 

To finish, I scooped the quinoa mix into the acorn squash and added some sides: more quinoa (the squash doesn't hold that much) and some teriyaki chicken.  

It's been four and a half hours since eating dinner and my boyfriend and I are still alive... I would consider that a success! Just kidding, I really enjoyed it and Alex said it was good too, so hurray for adventures in cooking!
Questions? Comments? Wanna tell me that it looks gross?? Feel free to add a comment!

No comments: