Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Paleo Pumpkin Pie!

Thanksgiving is here! My favorite holiday. I always look forward to the long weekend to spend with friends and family, to eat absurd amounts of food and to celebrate Alex's and my anniversary (sorry, had to throw that in there).

My absolute favorite part of Thanksgiving is dessert and in my house we usually have pumpkin pie. Since my family and I have started eating Paleo, we've been a bit worried about the upcoming festivities. It will be a "free day" for us but I thought this would be a great opportunity to try out another paleo recipe.

This past weekend, I did a bit of research and found a couple of paleo pumpkin pie recipes to combine into the easiest and tastiest recipe for me to create.
Here is what I came up with and it is awesome!

Last month I made a paleo apple pie and really enjoyed the crust and decided to use that recipe for this pie too. The crust is not only easy to make, it is super tasty.

For the crust you will need:
9 eggs (room temperature)
3/4 cup of honey
1 cup of coconut oil (heated to liquify)
2 cups coconut flour (amount varies)
(This actually made enough dough for two pies, which was the amount I needed but you can cut the proportions if you want)

-Preheat oven to 350.
-Put eggs, honey, and coconut oil in the food processor and pulse until smooth. Mix in the flour a little bit at a time until it looks like dough.
-Grease a 9 inch pie pan with coconut oil and then press the dough into the pan evenly to cover the bottom and the sides.

I found a very simple pumpkin filling recipe from Ann over at Twelve in Twelve. Ann found the recipe at the Everyday Paleo blog. Ann gave it good reviews and Everyday Paleo is a reliable source... so it was good enough for me to try!

For the Filling you will need: 
1 – 14oz can of organic pumpkin puree (nothing added, just pumpkin) 
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon -I will actually be doubling the amount for my next pie because the cinnamon wasn't strong enough for me or my taste testers.
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated ginger -I didn’t include the ginger and the pie was just fine without it.
2 eggs
1/2 cup raw organic honey
1/2 cup coconut milk -I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk because that's what I had on hand.

While the crust is in the oven, whisk all of the pie filling ingredients together.  Pour into the crust that has been baked for 10 minutes, return to the oven and bake for and additional 45 minutes.

 IMG_6053
I'm pretty sure my oven is the original that was installed in this apartment back in the 80's so it's a little wonky. I baked my crust for 10 minutes before pouring in the filling and then baked it for an additional 45 minutes but the pie would not set.

IMG_6059
I wound up baking it for an hour and a half, which caused the edges of the to blacken but it didn't taste burnt. When I make it again for Thanksgiving, I will probably lower the temperature and keep a better eye on it.
Overall, it tasted great! The filling was perfectly smooth but not too sweet. My parents didn't believe that it was paleo and were excited when I told them that I'm making another one for Thanksgiving day.
As for Alex...
IMG_6058
I think he liked it. ;)

No comments: