You should note that even though these are technically alright to eat on the paleo diet, they are a once-in-a-while treat because they are still too sugary for you.
I found the cupcake recipe at Elana's Pantry which also linked me to a frosting recipe as well.
For the cupcakes you will need:
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt (I just used regular salt)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup honey
- Pulse together dry ingredients in a food processor
- Pulse in wet ingredients
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners and scoop ¼ cup into each
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes
- Cool and serve
Makes 8 perfectly moist cupcakes. My dad compared the flavor to an Almond Joy which is one of my favorite candy bars so, woo-hoo!
For the frosting:
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan over very low heat, melt chocolate and coconut oil
- Stir in vanilla extract
- Place frosting in refrigerator for 15-30 minutes to thicken
- Remove from refrigerator and whip frosting with a hand blender until thick and fluffy
- Frost over Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes
All in all I would say there is barely any difference between these cupcakes and normal cupcakes. My three taste testers also approved them so I will say that this paleo recipe is here to stay!